Sunday, October 4, 2015

Through Painted Deserts, Part 1

I began a road trip yesterday and thought it would be a great coincidence to finally begin reading Donald Miller's book, Through Painted Deserts: Light, God and Beauty on the Open Road. It seemed fitting since it's also about a road trip and a personal journey. However, I was forced to pause early in the author's note pages as I already found something that required time devoted to deeper pondering. I'm curious to hear from my readers what you think about the following quotes.

"I want to keep my soul fertile for the changes, so things keep getting born in me, so things keep dying when it is time for things to die. I want to keep walking away from the person I was a moment ago because a mind was made to figure things out, not to read the same page recurrently."

"It might be time for you to go. It might be time to change, to shine out. I want to repeat one word for you: Leave. 
Roll the word around on your tongue for a bit. It is a beautiful word, isn't it? So strong and forceful, the way you have always wanted to be. And you will not be alone. You have never been alone. Don't worry. Everything will still be here when you get back. It is you who will have changed."


One More Thing...
Is there something you need to leave? 

Leave me a comment and let me know if you've read this book. It was previously released as Prayer and the Art of Volkswagen Maintenance: Finding God on the Open Road.


Take care, and I'm always here to pray for you if you have a need or request.

Lois Lynn

1 comment:

  1. I read the original but want to read the revised...don't remember those quotes.
    Hope you're having a great trip!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the feedback! I'd love it if you'd sign your name at the end of your comment, if you're not using an account so I know who to say thank you to.