Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Chicken Strips With a Side of Tears

Today was the day the KFC guy made me cry. I didn't see it coming and wasn't prepared for it.

There have been several pretty significant and stressful events that have happened in my life during the last 5 1/2 years, but these last 6 months have kind of been off the charts. The last 45 days have been really thick with some difficult things and no breathing room. I was feeling the toll.

Today was a decent day, my first day back at work after what felt like 3 weeks of being trapped at home. Nothing was weighing on me or dragging me down. For once I didn't feel like I was on the brink of a meltdown. I was heading home and knew I needed to grab a quick and cheap lunch - this was about 3 pm and would be my first meal of the day. My mind has been preoccupied and distracted recently with meals feeling like a chore. I decided that KFC sounded a bit more like rainy day comfort food than a cold sandwich and I couldn't face another PB&J.

I love the $5 lunch boxes and justified spending that today since I had been trapped for so long. I deserved this treat. Cue the circling shark music...they are now $5.99. That's $6 folks, which has crossed the $5 line and is now on the way to $10 (closer to $10 than $0) so I was re-thinking my purchase and toying with heading home. I know, it's only a dollar, and the gas was already spent getting there. But, remember...I'm emotionally fried and had a tiny dinner about 22 hours ago. I can't think straight.

The next thing I know, the guy rang me up and told me it was $3.99. I remember hearing something about 3 strips, 1 side, biscuit, and a cookie for $3.99. I was trying to do the math, which usually comes naturally to me. How much is a drink? Am I better off ordering the combo meal I started with? One plus one IS still equal to 17, right? At this point, he said, "the drink's on me today." This is when I kind of mentally blacked out - did somebody just cover my expenses for something? Somewhere in the midst of this mental pause, I shared a delightful conversation with the gal next to me about how good their pies are, but that we aren't a fan of the cookies. She agreed and laughed. I assume she got her order and left. I really don't remember seeing her again and can only hope she was real.

I got my food and drink and the plethora of condiments necessary (2 dipping sauces for chicken, ketchup and ranch for the wedges, honey and butter for the biscuit) to enjoy the meal. I opened my box and found a large paper sleeve with something heavy in it. I kind of feared it was a half dozen of those cookies I don't eat and set it aside. I thoroughly enjoyed my meal and heard employees call the guy who waited on me by his name a good 15-20 times during my meal. I planned to send a note to corporate sharing how his kind manner was so pleasant and made my day. No mention of the free drink so I didn't get him in trouble, but I wanted to let them know he has a customer service heart.

Having finished the meal, I thought I'd take a look at the bag and figure out who to pass the cookies along to. Lo and behold - no cookies. Instead, there were two little hot apple pies nestled in there waiting for me. Oh, and tears dripping down my face in slow motion.

The guy was nowhere to be found. I could not recall his name, even though I heard it dozens of times. I had tossed the receipt already. I could not say thank you. I could not drop a note to give him a free pass to come visit my paint studio. I could not repay this extra care. I could not sing his praises to his boss. I could only accept the kindness of a stranger and the warmth of apple pie. I didn't really know how to do this, this was difficult.

Instead, I thanked God for His creative ways of loving me when I didn't feel lovable and I feel pretty confident that the KFC guy is filled with the joy of giving.


One More Thing...
I'm curious...is it difficult for you to accept the kind acts of strangers? Is it any easier when it comes from somebody you know?  

Remember that God's in control and we only need to lean on Him for one day at a time.


Take care, and I'm always here to pray for you if you have a need or request.

Lois Lynn

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the feedback! I'd love it if you'd sign your name at the end of your comment, if you're not using an account so I know who to say thank you to.