Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Scattered Blooms

Recently I was strolling across a parking lot I have crossed hundreds, if not thousands, of times over the course of 18 years when something new caught my eye. One tiny blooming plant that couldn't have been more than two inches tall was in the middle of a long stretch of cracked asphalt.

My mind flashed to the Parable of the Sower, then to the Parable of the Weeds (check out Matthew 13 for reference) before landing on the phrase "bloom where you are planted." The more I pondered it I was reminded that of course it wasn't actually planted in the middle of the parking lot. Likely a bird dropped a seed, or maybe the wind blew it into the crack where there was just enough dirt to allow it to grow long enough that it bloomed. 


I had recently sent a letter to a couple of friends who were great inspirations to me in my late teens and early twenties thanking them for planting some seeds in my life while also helping to nurture and grow some seeds planted by others. I was reflecting on this when I looked to my right and found several additional plants blooming along the entire crack.




It finally struck me that regardless of how these plants got there they are indeed beautiful right now. I found it encouraging to think about the struggle to survive and even to thrive to the point of blooming while not feeling like you are where you belong. If plants could think and feel, would they compare themselves to those intentionally placed in the flowerbeds? Would they feel like outcasts? 


I wonder if maybe, just maybe, they would instead bask in the sunlight and hold their beautiful blooms facing Heavenward and thank God for creating them to be just exactly what they are and where they are.


One More Thing...
Do you feel like you were created for a purpose? You were. Do you feel beautiful and worthy of being adored? You are.

Take care, and I'm always here to pray for you if you have a need or request.

Lois Lynn

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful post Lois. Thank you for sharing it. I love the way you see things. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words. My hope is that something I say may touch someone.

      Delete
    2. Welcome back. I'm assuming I know the parking lot so I'll check and see how they're doing...Dana

      Delete
    3. Thanks Dana. Yes, yes you do know. I tried to check the other day but there were too many cars.

      Delete

Thanks for the feedback! I'd love it if you'd sign your name at the end of your comment, if you're not using an account so I know who to say thank you to.