Friday, March 22, 2019

The World's Front Porch

Something happened to me while I was busy with the routine of life, something I didn't expect but I am grateful for. Apparently, I have crossed the age barrier into the stage of life that looks back with more frequency and fondness. The view from this place in life is expansive. While I can still appreciate today and look forward to tomorrow with wonder, I find myself looking back with a sense of respect, pride, and admiration for those days.


I recently heard an updated version of a song that made me stop and listen closely. I think a lot of the struggles, anger, and frustrations with the current state of the world could be impacted by simple acts from people like us. Maybe I'm naive, but I want to believe we can make a difference, one person at a time.

While I didn't have the front porch growing up or in my early married life, we lived in a community where neighbors talked to each other either out front or over the side fence. It wasn't uncommon to join in for dinner together with only a moment's notice. Cookies and pies were often shared and you could trust people enough to actually eat them! 

I can remember waving and stopping to say hello to our elderly neighbors across the street when we lived in our first house. It was nice to know each other's names and hear about what was happening. It was a connection you didn't have in an apartment.

We have a front porch now and yet we don't use it. Why? Society is different and we feel safer in the protection of our backyard. However, we don't brighten anybody's day while hiding out. Nobody gets a wave or a smile from us.

Listening to these lyrics, I wonder if we could all be friends with the simple act of hanging out on the front porch and treating y=our neighbor like he's our next of kin.

One More Thing...
I found the lyrics to paint a portrait of a time that was kind of falling apart and the thought that maybe things could be better with a little kindness. Folks, this song was released 25 YEARS AGO. I don't know about you, but I'd be happy if people treated each other now like we did then! Much less the "back then" the song refers to.

Do you have a front porch? I'd love to hear your front porch stories.

Take care, and I'm always here to pray for you if you have a need or request.

Lois Lynn

Tracy Lawrence's "If the World Had a Front Porch"


To view lyrics, click here.


3 comments:

  1. I very much enjoyed reading your post and can in many ways relate. Thank you for sharing your thoughts once again. Forever your friend. Tim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tim. Maybe together we can all help make this world a bit nicer.

      Delete
  2. Glad you're back to blogging. Keep going. Hey, it's time for the next one.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the feedback! I'd love it if you'd sign your name at the end of your comment, if you're not using an account so I know who to say thank you to.