Friday, May 1, 2020

Optimists Won't Prevail

Several weeks ago, I began to reflect on a session I had heard at the Global Leadership Summit years ago. Jim Collins spoke about optimists not prevailing, but dying of a broken heart. I could only remember there was something said about how the optimists thought their circumstances would change by Christmas but it did not happen. It felt so much like the news updates we have been hearing during the Covid quarantine. "We'll lift restrictions by April 1st." Next, you heard them project April 15th, then May 1st, etc. The message seemed timely in the midst of our lock-down situation and I hope it will bring you encouragement to look at things from a different perspective.

I could try to summarize it, but Jim Collins does such a great job sharing this story from his book From Good to Great that I'll step aside and ask you to listen to these 3 minutes.






NOTE: paradox is a seemingly absurd or self-contradictory statement in logic that, superficially, cannot be true but also cannot be false.


We simply cannot afford to lose hope for an improved situation. But if we don't balance that with the reality of what we are indeed facing, I fear we are only trading hope for despair. Hoping for the best reinforces a purpose for each day but only the unwise wouldn't also prepare for the worst case.

I have seen a lot of social media posts from people anticipating an end date to this quarantine life. While some hoped it would end in April, some wished for a date that would align with the traditional end of school. Almost everybody is hoping to enjoy their summers. Now we are even hearing dates into the next school year and perhaps 2021!

Maybe it's time to consider accepting the reality that we are living through days, a season, a crisis, a pandemic that is an unfinished story - we don't know the end date. Perhaps, like Stockdale, we should hold onto the faith and hope that this will be a part of history at some point in time but not live life looking at the calendar with optimism.

If you prefer, the written transcript can be found here:


One More Thing...
For me, when I started to align with this way of thinking, the quality of my days began to improve. My outlook was healthier, I began to rediscover my "why" for getting up and dressed. It was once again important to me to eat regularly scheduled meals and to do the things that fill my bucket. Will you join me?


Take care, and I'm always here to pray for you or listen if you have a need or request. You can reach out to me privately at loislynnflores@gmail.com or comment on this post.

Lois Lynn

2 comments:

  1. Lois, keep posting. You're touching more lives than you think. God bless you

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the feedback! I'd love it if you'd sign your name at the end of your comment, if you're not using an account so I know who to say thank you to.