Sunday, August 16, 2015

Drops In The Ocean

I have heard this song numerous times, and while I enjoyed it, I found that I often had to turn the volume down if I was in the car because there's one part that sounds like a siren and I always felt compelled to check to see if I needed to pull over for an emergency vehicle. So, while it was memorable for many months, it was for the wrong reasons and I couldn't have told you much about it except for a couple of phrases that were with the best parts of the music.

That was, until two weeks ago when this song began to take on a new depth of meaning. I was visiting a church that does a special monthly Communion Sunday. 

The entire experience was marvelous, but the speaker that day emphasized the humanity of Jesus approaching and enduring the crucifixion. I always understood Jesus was fully man and fully God, but I never quite grasped what it meant to be fully human for him at that moment, knowing what He was facing and choosing to continue.

Our speaker put it in terms that showed the humanity of Jesus while facing great pain and torture. He did not face it with some kind of miraculous ability to not feel what He was going through. He anticipated the suffering. He suffered. He suffered in a HUGE way. He suffered for me. He suffered for you. SUFFERED...that is a powerful word.

I haven't had to deal with much physical pain in my life, but I have had a few painful and dramatic things happen. Many of those, I would not willingly face again and they were NOTHING compared to this. He chose to continue into the pain. Wow. That is love indeed. As the song says, "If you want to know how far my love can go, just how deep, just how wide. If you want to see how much you mean to me, look at my hands, look at my side."

Fast forward to the next Sunday. I went to hear a dear friend speak at his church and he spoke about Thomas. This was twice in 8 days that the physical injuries were impressed upon my heart. We all likely have the same thoughts of Thomas, "Doubting Thomas" - right? I have more to share later with another song, but there has definitely been a theme in my life in recent months and it's even playing out in the music that surrounds me. I hope you can see God's love with new eyes if you need to. I did.

In addition to how much he loves us, it's also a great reminder that he loves us as we are...now. Who else really loves us this much?

One More Thing...
"Won't you lay down your guard and come to me" was another line that hit me. If you think you're the only one who has trouble with it, you're not.

Take care, and I'm always here to pray for you if you have a need or request.
Lois Lynn




https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZH13wFGffg

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much, Lois. I love your writing and this amazing song. Thank you for share and may God richly bless you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barb! I love the reminder of how incredibly special we are to Him, and that he wants us now...not AFTER we "get it all together." The "letting down your guard" part is a continual challenge for me. I've become so used to handling things on my own that it's difficult to let your guard down.

      Delete

Thanks for the feedback! I'd love it if you'd sign your name at the end of your comment, if you're not using an account so I know who to say thank you to.