Monday, July 18, 2016

Empty Head Syndrome

I'm sitting here on day nine of a 30-day #blogyourbrand challenge and I'm done. Apparently, I have reached the day when there isn't anything in my brain capable of forming an intelligent post. So I have resorted to writing about the inability to write. I think that may be a great example of irony. I have heard it said, "When you have a writing assignment you should force yourself to sit down and write even if the thoughts aren't there." I'm beginning to see this may have been good advice. At least it's working when I don't have a specific topic I'm tasked with. It appears to me that what I mistook for a case of writer's block was really only a case of empty head syndrome.

I wonder how many other tasks we put aside because we think we have to be in the right frame of mind, or completely ready to take them on when all we really should do is start the task. Are there times when the burden or dread of having a task before you weighs more heavily and takes a bigger toll on you than stepping into it and completing it? 

I am a list-maker and sometimes I have been known to do something not on the list and add it only so I can experience the joy of crossing it off! I think tasks can often hit me the same way. 

If I would create a list of small steps towards completing the task, it's likely that I'll be more successful. Every check of the box brings a sense of accomplishment and a shorter path to completion of the goal.

I'm hoping I'll feel more prepared to write my next post, but I do feel that perhaps somebody out there will be encouraged to know they are not alone in what should be an Olympic sport - procrastination.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the feedback! I'd love it if you'd sign your name at the end of your comment, if you're not using an account so I know who to say thank you to.