Friday, July 29, 2016

Housepaint: An Indecisive Creative's Nightmare

We are in the midst of one of the biggest decisions of our lives, or at least it feels that way. We are painting the exterior of our home and it feels like this should be an exciting opportunity. Instead, it feels like the beginning of Chromophobia, the fear of colors and decidophobia, the fear of making decisions. Neither of these has plagued me before but this is catching me at a time when my brain is tired and something that seems so exciting and simple also feels so impossible.

I consider myself creative and I love bright colors. My house embraces a variety of colors ranging from the warmth of caramel to a few different vivid bright colors you might see in Mexico or the Caribbean. I believe my home should make me feel good without a lot of concern for fitting into the mold of those around me. Obviously the hubby has to be in agreement, but he's pretty much wired the same way.

Suddenly we are surrounded by paint chips and complete indecisiveness. This feels like a permanent decision that can never be undone. It feels like we must make the right choice for the entire neighborhood. No, we can't do this color because it conflicts with the neighbor's house behind us. But this one looks funny next to the one next door. There are 28 gray houses within a few blocks - we can't do that. There are too many teal ones, can't do that...and on it goes.

When did choosing paint become such a monumental task? We fluctuate between thinking there are too many colors and that we need a new color in the world because we don't like any of them. It's paint...by its very definition it is temporary.

What are your tips for finding the right color? Don't even get me started on brand comparison!

3 comments:

  1. LOL, no advice...I'd feel the same way. I love to play with color and my choices would probably turn others off. I'm interested to see your choice once you decide, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel for ya- I'm going through something similar with interior paint. Decisions decisions! Loved your post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Linda and Nessie...so fun to read comments. We did remove 4 of our choices, but added 3 more! It's so much fun to change things up and I adore color. Let me know what you guys come up with also.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the feedback! I'd love it if you'd sign your name at the end of your comment, if you're not using an account so I know who to say thank you to.