Tuesday, July 26, 2016

FIRE and RESCUE

Dad worked in another state, but I wanted to use
one of my photos. Thank you Portland Fire.
Fire and smoke. Burning toxins and crumbling walls or roofs. Auto accidents and drug overdoses. These are some of the common encounters firefighters have faced throughout the decades. You can add baby deliveries and cats in trees for some of the more lighthearted events. For ages, they could pretty much expect the unexpected. This list is still intimidating to most people and society greatly appreciates those who choose this profession. Firefighters are often praised for their hard work and dedication, they hear routine statements of appreciation from their communities, they are the guests of honor at parades and sometimes they even get cookies delivered to their stations.

My dad was a firefighter so I was privileged to spend a lot of time inside the fire station. I ate dinner there a lot when Mom and I would visit him on duty. I remember playing basketball in the back of the station with the guys and they taught me to spit watermelon seeds. One year I even wore my dad's coat, boots, and helmet for Halloween. I used the helmet as my trick-or-treat bag and dumped it into a larger bag back at the curb. 

I remember the only cigar I ever saw growing up. It was from a family where he helped deliver the baby. He didn't smoke it, but I remember thinking it was pretty cool. He came to school for show and tell and of course, the kids loved it! I knew how to turn on the lights, siren, and horn on the fire truck. I recognized that unique smell of a firehouse floor. 

I'm glad my dad is retired now. It's a different time, a scarier time. Today's firefighters have the added fears of more illnesses they can get while responding to medical calls. There are more drugs in society, more chemicals, and explosions. Most of all, don't forget, there are now people who set them up and shoot at them when they respond. This is still an honorable profession and I hope there will always be people that step up to this career but I am grateful to have Dad home and retired during these crazier days.

If you see these folks out there, tell them thank you. Go online and look up your local fire stations, it's so easy to send them a note of appreciation and they deserve it.

Yes, I was a fireman's kid...and proud of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the feedback! I'd love it if you'd sign your name at the end of your comment, if you're not using an account so I know who to say thank you to.