Saturday, July 30, 2016

Lowered Expectations

July was my birthday month, which started us off on a series of attempts to find that elusive wonderful dining experience to celebrate with. We tried one chain restaurant famous for their cornbread muffins and we were served something that had no resemblance whatsoever to their normally outstanding product. It seems they had run out and gone with a completely inferior product, but not bothered to tell their customers. Truth be told, it kind of ruined the experience, as it is the highlight and part of the reason we chose this place. When the manager stopped by and made light of them running out, but offered no kind words of apology or understanding that kind of broke it for us.

Other attempts at the perfect celebration included an assortment of places I can't remember clearly now but nothing seemed to be working. One I do remember involved a piece of pie that had pineapple and fresh strawberries on it, as well as a bunch of other great stuff. We ordered two pieces to go and found them to be so soggy they looked like formerly frozen berries that had been partially pureed and the bananas were completely brown, no pineapple and no cherry on top either. On top of that, the experience of purchasing them was a battle to be served and noticed.

I stopped at a local grocery store and the clerk did not say one single word in greeting or as I tried to engage him in friendly conversation, complimenting the store and everything. I asked him how he was doing and he pretty much just grunted at me until I finally got a word out of him before I left.

At a bakery, we had a question about one of their products and nobody knew the answer but nobody made an attempt to find out from the baker or another employee. Really? What happened to "I don't know that answer, but let me check for you?"

This blog could go on for days, but I wonder, when did we become a society of complacency and lowered expectations? I have never worked anywhere that this level of service would be tolerated. I work too hard for my dollars to waste it on food that isn't cooked properly or that treat of going out when you aren't given a drink refill during your entire meal.

It's time to expect service again...after all, we are the customers! Rant over.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the feedback! I'd love it if you'd sign your name at the end of your comment, if you're not using an account so I know who to say thank you to.