Friday, July 22, 2016

The Silence in the Roar


What is it about the roar of the ocean waves that beckons us? It is vividly violent and wildly soothing simultaneously. After a chaotic and stress-filled week, I feel as if I can hear the surf calling me to visit. My innermost emptiness echoes the call and tells me to go. The struggle begins inside pitting the responsible and logical side against the impulsive and selfish side. I do know I need to experience the refreshment a visit to the edge of the tides offers, but I have to question if I will allow it to soothe the aches or if I will be haunted by the to-do list I skipped out on.

Like many people, I have had the daydream of owning a small house in a beach community. I can't quite comprehend the joy it would provide for so many, to have a little respite available. I do wonder if beach residents ever find themselves weary of the roar of the sea and wish they could silence it. I mean, come on, if you have a migraine, or are just tired of the noise of the world, wouldn't you sometimes want it to be silent? It is never silent at the beach. 3 am...still roaring.

And yet, we refer to the ocean as being a place of solitude, a place of silence, a place to sit and reflect or to let your soul be refreshed. There is nothing so peaceful as a long, slow stroll alongside the waves breaking just safely distant from your toes. I can walk great distances in this trance and after a bit of time, I don't know that I hear the roar anymore. Maybe it is the silence in the roar I am craving when I seek my solace and refreshment along the shoreline. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the feedback! I'd love it if you'd sign your name at the end of your comment, if you're not using an account so I know who to say thank you to.