Tuesday, October 12, 2021

Joy Dare: October 12, 2021 - A GIFT SMALL, SMALLER, SMALLEST

I've spent so many years in church that my first reaction to hearing the word "small" was to add "group" behind it. Then I realized I am grateful for my current small group so that's my interpretation. The people in this group were strangers to me two years ago. We don't even attend the same church but they are my family and have become my friends. I have heard them share personal stories and prayer requests that have brought tears to my eyes. They have talked about their faith with such a deep and sincere love that I am often convicted to grow in my own relationship with God. They laugh. Oh boy, do they laugh. They are a safe place for me to share my life. They celebrate and praise God together. They seek to live a life of following and loving God. They are examples to me, some are unknowingly my mentors. I love my small group and count them as a gift.

Smaller brought to mind a scene from a favorite childhood movie, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. The original one with the genius acting of Gene Wilder. The Wonka-Vision scene where Mike gets smaller isn't what I remember most from the movie, nor is it what I'm grateful for. I am thankful for what this represents - growing up in a generation when we had original movies like this, Mary Poppins, and Chitty, Chitty, Bang, Bang. It was an era when creativity surrounded us and imagination ran wild. Violence was the exception, sex was unheard of onscreen, and you could relax and enjoy movies together as a family.

NOTE: If you've never seen the original, be sure to check it out.


Thinking about the "smallest" gift brings a lot of gratitude to mind. My first cousin once removed, Jenna, was born five weeks early, weighing only four pounds, seven ounces. She was the smallest human I'd ever seen. She was also the most precious one I'd met. I spent all the time I could with her for several years before life started to take me in a different direction. I moved out of state and she grew up without me around except for one wonderful week when we hosted her for a visit when she was 16. She has since moved to the same state I'm in but there was some distance within other family members that kept us from connecting immediately. Today, I am still thankful for that tiny little girl who has grown into a marvelous, kind-hearted woman. We have been able to restore our relationship, and those close to us. She was the smallest gift then but has made a big impact on the lives of those she loves.



NOTE: If you are the first to comment, you must click on "No Comments" to start.
#joydare

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the feedback! I'd love it if you'd sign your name at the end of your comment, if you're not using an account so I know who to say thank you to.