Friday, October 8, 2021

Joy Dare: October 8, 2021 - 3 GIFTS PRAYED FOR

Window as you enter the pizza place. I sat outside today, trying to enjoy
the last remnants of late summer.

If you've been around people who pray, you have probably heard the joke about not praying for patience because you often find yourself in multiple situations in which you'll need it. I'm also reminded of the phrase "be careful what you pray for." As I write this I'm sitting at my favorite pizzeria one town away, with tears streaming down my face. It's been a hard week with some unanticipated tough moments. I'm feeling emotional and overwhelmed, but not the least bit concerned about who may see me crying. This isn't like me. But I am thankful for the gift of feeling that I have prayed for the past several years. I was becoming concerned that I couldn't feel things and didn't have an emotional side anymore. I began praying for that on a few random occasions and today I understand this is a gift received. I'm not convinced I like it, but I did pray for it so we'll see how this works out.

When I first started going to church again, I started volunteering with Pastor Kurt and his assistant, Helen. I began praying for a job opportunity to open up that would allow me to work at the church, as part of his ministry team. Less than two years later I joined the staff and was honored to work alongside him for ten years.

One of the most beautiful things I've heard is when a man or woman says they've been praying for their future spouse for years, before even meeting. This goes much further than saving themselves for marriage, but they are praying for their well-being, their faith, their future, their hopes and dreams. God knows who that person will be, but the ones doing the praying don't. I am so grateful there are people wise enough in the younger generations to do this, to live so unselfishly, and so trusting in God. This is beautiful and can only serve to build a solid foundation for that marriage.

1 comment:

Thanks for the feedback! I'd love it if you'd sign your name at the end of your comment, if you're not using an account so I know who to say thank you to.