Thursday, October 21, 2021

Joy Dare: October 21, 2021 - 3 GIFTS UNDERVALUED

At the top of my gratitude list is any man or woman who has chosen a life as a first responder. I have been around this community group in one form or another my entire life, with some in my family serving as firefighters or law enforcement officers. I've spent the past 10 years working around law enforcement officers in a city where they are routinely told they are unwanted by the loudest voices while the majority remain silent, or live in fear of showing support and appreciation. They are easily one of the most undervalued people groups and my heart breaks a little with each new blow society deals them. I am forever grateful for them. 

I had the opportunity today to sit across the table from someone I've known for 2 1/2 years but have spent less than an hour with in the last 20 months. I understand we're all weary from this season of isolation and masks; even we, the introverts, are ready for some company. As I looked at him when he talked, I realized how undervalued full facial expression is. I've always heard that we can smile with our eyes. This is true, and it's been nice during our mask mandate days. I noticed today that whether it's a smile or a frown, a pause to think before speaking or a rush of excitement into a story, you can't see all the nuances when the face is covered. It's easier to hide your hesitancy before speaking or your true emotions. Nobody knows if you started to say something and held back. Today I understood that the full facial expressions are likely undervalued because they are priceless, they complete the conversation. I was so grateful to see the emotions behind the words today.

"Smile. You're on Candid Camera." When it was time for a family photo, someone would point to the camera and tell you to smile. Why do we need to be told to smile? When I smile at someone I'm walking by, they smile back almost every time. I feel better and I'm sure they feel better. It's like a socially distanced hug that you don't have to ask permission to give.  You can't put a price tag on that upward curve of the mouth, but I think they are routinely undervalued - maybe that's why we don't smile often. Remember, even when we're masked, a smile can be seen through the eyes as they light up and the crinkles around them.







If you are the first to comment, you must click on "No Comments" to start.
#joydare


FIRST-TIME READER?
This is the link to my first post on this topic, in case you're curious what this is about.

https://thatresonates.blogspot.com/2021/10/joy-dare-trial-run-october-1-2-2021.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the feedback! I'd love it if you'd sign your name at the end of your comment, if you're not using an account so I know who to say thank you to.