Wednesday, October 13, 2021

Joy Dare: October 13, 2021 - 3 GIFTS READ

Finally, a gratitude prompt I was super excited about all day. Actually, I peeked last night so I could start preparing. I was almost giddy as I took the very direct route to some of my favorite books I'm grateful I have read. Of course, the list is huge but I found a fun way to scale it to three gifts read. About lunchtime, I had another idea. Today at 3:18, I received an email that completely changed my direction.

I am sticking with the book idea for the first gift because I've been such an avid reader my entire life. How could I not go with the basics of books? I'll give you a nutshell version of my thoughts because I have to name something here. Beverly Cleary formed my childhood, as she did many of us and gave me a lot of books to devour as a child. In 2010, a series launched from Nancy Rue, The Reluctant Prophet, which has nudged me for years when thinking about my purpose so it gets a fun shout-out. I still don't own the series but stumble around two library systems trying to borrow them every few years. The last one was written by a pastor I met two years ago and has left a lasting impact. I'd strongly encourage you to check out The Master's Mind by Lance Hahn. (Both of these will be featured in an upcoming post for "Buy the Book")

I've spent the last year battling recurring vertigo or balance issues. So far, we think it's cervicogenic vertigo, which means the position of my neck greatly affects this condition. I've not been able to read much this past year which is extremely disheartening for me. It feels a bit like a limb is missing as I always have 2-3 books going at a time. I track the books and page count of what I read each year. I am in a class that is requiring a fair amount of reading and it's been difficult to try to find free audiobook versions. With that being said, I have spent this year deeply grateful for the times when I was able to read. Quite frankly, I took it for granted. I've been reading since I was three years old and never took the time to appreciate that I could read.

At 3:18 today, my list for today changed. My purpose was confirmed. I've had a difficult time when people call me a writer. It feels like I must be trained and published, and perfect at it to be called a writer. I've written since I was a child. I wish I'd written more throughout life but I am back at it now. I write because I hope to encourage people they are not alone out there. I haven't had huge traumatic events and I think my life is average. Most of us are normal but feel like we are the exception and alone on our journey. My story isn't spectacular, it won't ever be a movie but I can't shake this feeling like writing is what I'm supposed to do...even when only eight people read it.

Today, I received this e-mail from someone going through breast cancer treatments. We used to cross paths on a regular basis but she moved a short distance away and we no longer have much direct connection. I do miss her dearly. I never imagined she was reading my writing. This changed my original focus for three gifts read. When I read this I was overwhelmed with gratitude that she would take the time to share this with me. Stunned, yet appreciative that my blog is going on her list of things she's grateful for. Thrilled she is keeping a list and writing about gratitude. Humbled that God reminded me of my purpose.

 

"I admire your transparency and talking about things that are hard. Thank you for sharing.

I am keeping a journal for my own journey this year. In one section, I'm writing about an attitude of gratitude and keeping a list of things I'm grateful for. I'm going to put your blog on my list."




NOTE:
This is the link to my first post on this topic, in case you're curious what this is about and why my blog posts look different right now.

https://thatresonates.blogspot.com/2021/10/joy-dare-trial-run-october-1-2-2021.html


#joydare

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the feedback! I'd love it if you'd sign your name at the end of your comment, if you're not using an account so I know who to say thank you to.