Wednesday, October 6, 2021

Joy Dare Trial Run: October 1-2, 2021

I’ve tried to start the Joy Dare for several months. It never clicked. Tomorrow I begin a 90-day commitment as part of an online course where I selected, “Write down one thing you’re grateful for” as one of my three daily action steps. As an overachiever, I thought this seemed like a great time to search for gratitude once again and try the Joy Dare prompts to find three things daily. I was kind of going for the “kill two birds with one stone” approach since I also opted to write 100 words each day.

I’m not sure why, but I think a natural mindset of gratitude doesn’t come easily for a lot of people. I trust and respect the first person who suggested I try doing this, but I didn’t believe it had much to offer me. Frankly, it seemed too extreme and kind of strange. Ok, it also seemed confusing, and I don’t like it when I’m not “perfect” at things. I’ve since been encouraged and inspired to do this by someone I haven’t even met, but God is mysterious in how He connects people these days. I read through a few of her posts and while I know I will never measure up to her understanding of gratitude, I’m ready to try.


October 1, 2021: 3 GIFTS ORANGE
As I sit at my desk, my first orange gift came to mind. To the left of my computer screen rests a small orange wooden block, approximately the size of an index card, and one inch deep. It was a giveaway in a neighborhood online group, and I fell in love with it. I try to imagine God speaking to me when I read the quote on it, “Simply amazing is who you are.” Most days I don’t believe it. Occasionally, I do. Today is the first time I felt grateful to have this block of wood as I try to remind myself of what God thinks about me. Hmmm…interesting. Maybe there’s going to be something to this Joy Dare after all.

A memory just flashed from years ago when Pastor Kurt was in my kitchen and asked me for an orange. It seemed odd since our ministry team was in my home for a meeting and we were about to have dinner. He took the orange and slowly peeled it to reveal the worthy fruit below the rind as he spoke. I don’t remember all the words, but I have often reflected on this object lesson where he tried to teach me it’s worth the effort to do the hard things and peel away the bitter parts of life to get to the best part. It made such an impact that I photographed the orange to remind me to never fear doing the difficult things.

In 2013, I heard Bob Goff speak for the first time. I was smitten. This man was vibrant and bold and spoke simple truths that resonated with me about loving God and loving people. One story he shared was about a woman who was using sign language to translate as he spoke to an audience. He loved the symbol for “awesome” so much that he stopped his speech to learn what it was. I appreciated his reminder to strive to be awesome and thought it was a worthy daily nudge to myself. I was delighted when I found a small plastic traffic cone at a dollar store with the word “Awesome” printed across it diagonally. I have one of those in my bathroom and one in my car to remind me to strive to be awesome.

I’m shocked but proud of myself for finding three gifts orange. I hope you might join me in trying this.


October 2, 2021: 3 GIFTS FALLING
While it’s not “falling” in the literal sense of the word, I am deeply grateful for more time spent “falling” on my knees in prayer recently. Before you think I’m showing off, or dare to compare yourself to what you perceive to be my prayer life, let me clarify that mine has again been almost non-existent for some time. More simply means there has been some in recent months. Even if it’s only a handful of times, it comes more naturally now when it does come. I am grateful for any time spent there.

I’m seeing the number falling on my scale, and that makes me feel some relief and hope. I have had several new or recurring injuries or ailments over the last four years that hinder my ability to do any physical activity, even as simple as walking. I am grateful to be able to move again, which results in a falling number and a healthier, more positive mindset. It’s easy to let our health issues weigh us down.

I easily associate falling with fear, as I’ve had some vertigo issues this year. To change how I look at that, I’m choosing to be grateful for the times when I did not fall even though my brain thought I was falling and spinning. I have been kept injury-free and my fear of falling has even taught me to ask for help a couple of times when I needed it. I’m trying to be grateful for learning to be humble.

#JoyDare

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the feedback! I'd love it if you'd sign your name at the end of your comment, if you're not using an account so I know who to say thank you to.