Tuesday, November 2, 2021

Joy Dare: November 2, 2021 - 3 GIFTS WORN

Ephesians 6:10-17 describes the Armor of God and while I don't mentally walk through this, or practice this nearly enough, I treasure it and count it as one of the best gifts worn...ever! We are fortunate to have this to prepare us for our daily battles.

One of the most remarkable items I've ever worn, I wore once. My mother made my wedding dress. I picked out all the things I liked in dresses I saw and we combined them into one masterpiece. It was exquisite, and it was made with love. The back had a long, low V-cut and strings of beads formed a criss-cross pattern. The train and sleeves were a sea of tufts. It was covered in sequins and beads, each one tediously hand-sewn on. Some of them were purchased 1,000 miles away from home while my parents were on vacation. They actually came from the city I now live in. Some were applied as she sat next to my hospital bed, one month before the wedding. With the unplanned surgery for a large abdominal cyst, I lost 20 pounds and she had to take in the seams after all that beading work. Somehow, this just made it more precious.

My grandfather, Papa Clovis, had a brown suede blazer. I adored Papa. One of my favorite memories was sitting next to him in the car or at church, and gently rubbing my hands up and down his arm, savoring the silky smooth texture and the time bonding with him. He passed 14 years ago, but I have that blazer and occasionally take it out to touch it and remember. It was a treasure worn by a good man.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the feedback! I'd love it if you'd sign your name at the end of your comment, if you're not using an account so I know who to say thank you to.