Monday, November 1, 2021

Joy Dare: November 1, 2021 - 3 GIFTS EATEN

Have you ever eaten fresh from the field fruit? There is nothing like it. I was raised in an agricultural community, where there was an abundance of all good things that grow in the sun. Every one of them was "the best" there ever was. Oranges, strawberries, watermelons, avocados, and almonds were among some of my favorite fresh items to enjoy. While I am grateful to have had this luxury, it has made it far more difficult to accept the cold storage versions picked before they are quite ripe. But for now, I'll treasure what I did get to enjoy.

Photo by David Köhler on Unsplash
Grandma's cinnamon rolls deserve a mention here. I actually remember my mom's more, but Grandma probably started it all with hers. They were truly a gift to all. She would host these elaborate high tea parties and serve them to her guests. At one of the last ones, she was assisted by a beautiful young daughter of a friend from church. When she was teaching Erin how to make them, she told her, "spread as much butter as your conscience will allow you to, then do it again." I'm thankful for all the cinnamon rolls eaten, shared by so many people over the years.

One of the best gifts I've ever eaten was a terrible meal, extremely late at night, from a national chain coffee shop. We had moved from our upstairs apartment to a rental house on the hottest day of the year. There were only four of us to haul far too many boxes of belongings, solid oak furniture, and the heaviest sleeper sofa I've ever known. Every last item was carried down 40 feet of walkway and one flight of stairs with two 90-degree turns, before reaching the last 20 feet of narrow sidewalk and up into the truck. I don't remember the exact temperature, but it seems to me that it was about 113 degrees that day, and it was a record for summer in Bakersfield. In an effort to finish, we worked until almost midnight before we had our final meal to replenish our bodies. Best meal ever for nutritionally restoring us but it really was one of the worst. Memories can be a wonderful thing to hold onto though.

If you are the first to comment, you must click on "No Comments" to start.
#joydare


FIRST-TIME READER?
This is the link to my first post on this topic, in case you're curious what this is about.

https://thatresonates.blogspot.com/2021/10/joy-dare-trial-run-october-1-2-2021.html



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the feedback! I'd love it if you'd sign your name at the end of your comment, if you're not using an account so I know who to say thank you to.